AEA Standard for Service – Iowa Code §281—72.4(8)
Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency‘s (Agency) mission is to improve teaching and learning for all students through active partnerships and assertive leadership in a climate of mutual respect. In partnership with the schools and school districts served by the Agency, the Agency established three student learning goals (reading, mathematics, and science), in 2000, to address the needs of schools and school districts. These goals reflect a pledge to co-own the regional teaching and learning outcomes and the need to close the substantial achievement gaps among the low socioeconomic, minority, and special education subgroups.
The Agency’s programs include the following services aligned to the Agency’s goals and area education agency leadership standard for service:
- Assist school leaders with processes to identify and implement effective teaching and learning practices.
- Facilitate superintendent leadership development through specific professional development designed for school leaders and a partnership with School Administrators of Iowa and AEA Statewide System to provide an Instructional Rounds Network.
- Facilitate principal leadership development through the Principal Leadership Academy. The Academy includes a principal advisory group to identify and select relevant professional development building leaders.
- Facilitate central office administrator development through the Comprehensive School Improvement Network (CSIN). The network provides opportunities for job-like networking as well as relevant professional development opportunities.
- Facilitate teacher leadership established by Division VII of House File 215, the Teacher Leadership and Compensation System.
- Provide school leaders with assistance to meet and/or exceed Iowa Code Chapter 12 comprehensive school improvement requirements and expectations.
- Provide school leaders with strategic planning opportunities and networks to establish shared direction, implementing action to meet goals, and reporting progress toward goals.
- Support the recruitment, induction, retention, and professional development for educational leaders. The Agency collaborates with Iowa Department of Education, School Administrators of Iowa, and Iowa Association of School Boards to identify, select, and deliver high quality training to meet the professional needs of school leaders.