Educational Resources for Students Using Iowa AEA Online
Students are back in the classroom, and Iowa AEA Online (www.iowaaeaonline.org) is available to support their needs for educational resources at school or at home during the 2005-06 school year.
Iowa AEA Online features educational resources funded and provided by the Mississippi Bend AEA, along with Iowa's eleven other Area Education Agencies to all of the state's accredited K-12 schools. These resources include:
- AccuWeather Premium Weather Service provides current weather information to enhance science curriculum for projects, research, and presentations.
- Atomic Learning Library is an electronic help desk and training system for computer applications.
- ClipArt.com School Edition is a collection of more than 2.5 million searchable clip art, photos, images, fonts and sounds that may be used in teacher-created instructional materials, newsletters, student assignments and more.
- EBSCO is the largest school subscription agency of full-text periodicals, newspapers and reference tools for elementary, middle, and high school students, and offering teachers access to more than 500 education journals.
- Multimedia Archives is the database of the Associated Press Archives offering teachers and students access to AP full-text articles, audio clips, charts, graphs, tables, maps, and photos from the 1840s to moments ago.
- unitedstreamingTM is a web-based digital video delivery system from Discovery Education, which provides more than 4,000 full-length videos and 40,000 video clips searchable by keyword, subject area and grade level.
- World Book Online includes continuously updated articles from the 22-volume print set plus thousands of additional articles, pictures, maps, videos, animations, and links to other websites.
All of these resources are accessible from school or home (Internet access required), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
In its third year, Iowa AEA Online supports the content standards for school curriculum and student learning by bringing a wealth of information to teachers and students. These online resources offer students and teachers carefully selected resources to enhance classroom learning, featuring content that is continuously updated, often within hours of an event.
By contracting for online resources for all school districts statewide, Iowa AEA Online provides equity of information for all learners and educators in Iowa.
For more information about Iowa AEA Online, contact your school's media specialist or Julie Alfaro, Mississippi Bend AEA Quality Learning Media Consultant at 563-344-6526.
The Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency is one of 12 AEAs across the state of Iowa created by the 1974 Iowa Legislature. It provides educational services, media services and special education services to approximately 55,000 students in twenty-two public school districts and twenty-two approved non-public schools in Cedar, Clinton, Jackson, Louisa, Muscatine and Scott Counties.