Five Iowa schools named 2013 National Blue Ribbon Schools
DES MOINES – Five Iowa schools are among 286 schools nationwide named 2013 National Blue Ribbon Schools for their overall academic excellence or for their progress in improving student academic achievement levels:
- Meeker Elementary School (Ames Community School District)
- Herbert Hoover Elementary School (Bettendorf Community School District)
- Harlan Community High School (Harlan Community School District)
- Taft Elementary School (Humboldt Community School District)
- Okoboji Elementary School (Okoboji Community School District)
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan recognized the schools today: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39189722. The U.S. Department of Education will honor 236 public and 50 private schools at a recognition ceremony on Nov. 18-19 in Washington, D.C.
“Iowa’s Blue Ribbon Schools will help lead the way as our state’s education system works to give all students the best education possible,” Iowa Department of Education Director Brad Buck said.
The U.S. Department of Education’s National Blue Ribbon Schools award honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools where students perform at very high levels or where significant improvements are made in students’ levels of achievement.
Since 1982, nearly 7,500 schools in the U.S have received the coveted award. Read more about the 2013 National Blue Ribbon Schools at http://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/index.html.