Iowa Quality Preschool Program Standards
The Iowa Department of Education has been awarded a three year State Improvement Grant to implement the Iowa Quality Preschool Program Standards. Each Area Education Agency (AEA) will receive funds to assist selected community based preschool programs in becoming accredited with the quality standards. In the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency, five early childhood facilitators have been trained who will assist the selected preschools in conducting a self assessment and developing a center improvement plan to respond to identified needs. The facilitators are Denise Terry, Gayle Powell, Terri Kokemuller, all from the AEA and Doris Mathews and Marlene Dean from Child Care Resource and Referral.
The outcomes of the grant are: 1) to increase the capacity of early childhood programs to meet Iowa's Preschool Quality Program Standards and 2) to increase the percentage of children receiving Early Childhood Special Education instructional services in the least restrictive environment.
Preschools who will be participating in this project are:
- Sunshine Preschool, Maquoketa
- Teri's Childcare & Preschool, Gooselake
- Stay and Play Childcare and Preschool, Clinton
- Mount St. Clare Preschool, Clinton
- Creative Learning Center, DeWitt
- North Scott Child Care, Long Grove
- Redeemer Lutheran Preschool, Bettendorf
- Hand-in-Hand Child Care, Bettendorf
- A Child's Day Preschool, Muscatine
- Learning Tree Preschool, Muscatine
For more information about the Iowa Quality Preschool Program Standards, please contact Joyce Leavell, Early Childhood Coordinator, at 563-344-6265, 800-947-2329 ext. 6265 or email at email@example.com.