Surviving the Holidays
The Mississippi Bend Area Education agency School Social Work Department offers these ideas on making the holiday season less stressful for you and more fun for the whole family.
- Sit down and make a list of all the things that would make your holiday special. Ask for family members to help and share responsibilities.
- Look at your list and choose only those things that are the most important to you. Make sure you put your time and effort into what you enjoy and make everything else as easy as possible for yourself.
- Keep it simple. Have a potluck dinner instead of preparing the entire meal yourself or order pre-made dishes from a local restaurant or grocery store. Pick 2-3 different cookies your family likes best and make those. Prepare the cookie dough one day, and schedule another day for the baking.
- Involve your children. By involving your children, you give them more ownership of the holiday. If you're making cookies, have your children help roll out the dough or decorate the cookies. Remember: Don't get hung up on perfectionism.
- Make sure you have time to have fun. If you've planned ahead and done all the grocery shopping and preparations you intend to do, sit back and relax. Don't spend the day in the kitchen.
Iowa's AEAs….Celebrating 30 years in partnership with local schools.
The Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency is one of 15 AEAs across the state of Iowa created by the 1974 Iowa Legislature. It provides educational services, media services and special education services to approximately 55,000 students in twenty-two public school districts and twenty-two approved non-public schools in Cedar, Clinton, Jackson, Louisa, Muscatine and Scott Counties.