Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) in Iowa, also known as Response to Intervention or RtI, is an every-education decision-making framework of evidence-based practices in instruction and assessment that addresses the needs of all students. As an every-education process, MTSS allows educators to judge the overall health of their educational system by examining data on the educational system as well as identifying students who need additional supports. Those supports are provided in both small group and individual settings, and are monitored to ensure they support all learners demonstrate proficiency in the Iowa Core standards and leave school ready for life.
Many Iowa schools are successfully implementing components of MTSS. Together, we will move MTSS to consistent statewide implementation in every Iowa classroom.
The Iowa MTSS framework is made up of five components.
- Evidence-based curriculum and instruction provided at the universal level.
- Universal screening of all students.
- Evidence-based, instructional interventions at the targeted and intensive levels shall be provided to each student who needs them.
- Progress monitoring for learners below expectations.
- Data-based decision making throughout the system.
For more information specific to MTSS check out this direct link: www.educateiowa.gov
Karinne Tharaldson Jones
School Improvement Administrator
School Improvement Lead