The Mississippi Bend Numeracy Team is dedicated to offering customized professional services that meet the needs of individual districts, buildings and classrooms. Our number one goal is to partner with you to ensure a rigorous universal core that is designed to bring out the mathematical potential in every student. Why is math important? Mathematics provides us with a language to make sense of the complex workings of our world. Learning to think mathematically allows us to solve everyday problems more effectively and gives us the critical thinking skills to make quality decisions.
Please contact a member of the team if you have questions regarding:
- Iowa Core Standards
- Understanding Mathematical Content
- Engaging Mathematical Pedagogy
- Math Coach Supports: schedules, observations, feedback
- Developing a Focused Professional Development Model
- Systematic Implementation of Professional Development
There are two components to the Numeracy Team’s professional development offerings
- Transitioning to Iowa Core Math (TICM) is content focused – developing understanding in the content shifts that have occurred as a result of the adoption of Iowa Core Mathematics standards.
- Best Practices in Mathematics is pedagogy focused – helping teachers to implement the Habits of Mind and Interaction which allow students opportunities to practice being a mathematician. The course of Best Practices includes live classroom work in the form of Studio days throughout the school year. This course is based on the research of Teacher’s Development Group.