Skip to main content
Mississippi Bend AEA
Main Content

Substitute Teach in Iowa Schools

Thank you for your interest in our Mississippi Bend AEA Substitute Authorization course!

This 20-hour course is designed to meet the requirements for the Substitute Authorization License.  According to the Governor of Iowa’s Proclamation as of July 17, 2020, and for the duration of the proclamation, you can receive a Substitute Authorization License if you hold a bachelor’s degree to an associate’s degree or 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution.  The age requirement is 20 years of age or older. * 

Certified Paraeducators must also have a substitution authorization license to serve as a substitute teacher. 

  • If the paraeducator holds a regular substitute authorization, they may serve as a substitute teacher in any classroom except driver’s ed (this is not a change). 

  • If the paraeducator holds the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher only in their own special education classroom, they may substitute in any classroom during this proclamation. 

Holders of a career and technical authorization with at least one year of experience may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver education) as long as they hold the substitute authorization license. 

The course includes components on ethics, diversity, instructional strategies, and behavior management. 

*Changes to the day limitation, degree requirement, and allowing persons with additional authorizations allowed to serve as substitute teachers are proposed as permanent rule changes and are awaiting final approval.  The proposed permanent changes do not include the above temporary changes to the age requirement or the authority of a paraeducator.


Previous Substitute Authorization Rules

282—22.2(272) Substitute authorization. A substitute authorization allows an individual to substitute in grades PK-12 for no more than 5 consecutive days and no more than 10 days in a 30-day period in one job assignment for a regularly assigned teacher who is absent, except in the driver’s education classroom. A school district administrator may file a written request with the board for an extension of the 10-day limit in one job assignment on the basis of documented need and benefit to the instructional program. The licensure committee will review the request and provide a written decision either approving or denying the request. An individual who holds a paraeducator certificate without a bachelor’s degree and completes the substitute authorization program is authorized to substitute only in the special education classroom in which the individual paraeducator is employed. For these individuals, the authorization will appear on the paraeducator certificate and will not include separate renewal requirements.


When you are ready to register 

  • Log into our AEA Professional Learning site

    • Use the same login information as you do for Bloodborne Pathogens, Right to Know, Mandatory Reporter, etc

  • If you do not have an account, create an account at AEA Learning Online 

    • The NEXT BUSINESS DAY, log into our statewide AEA Professional Learning site using the same email and password you used on the AEA Learning Online site.

  • On the COURSES tab, you can type in the course or section number or simply click on the links provided for you 


Upcoming Courses!!!!

Learning Model: Virtual

Cost: $125.00 includes book


MB - Substitute Authorization - Course#: 167641

Requirements: This class will be held virtually using Zoom from 5:00 - 8:00 pm. You will need a computer with a camera and a microphone to participate in the class. You will be given a video link for each day of class to connect with the session. There will be homework assignments to be completed in addition to the Zoom sessions.  YOU MUST ATTEND ALL SESSIONS AND COMPLETE ALL WORK TO PASS THIS CLASS.


How to apply for your Substitute Authorization license.  The process can be started as soon as you know the course you are taking is going to be held. It takes 4-6 weeks for you to get your license.

  • Visit BOEE License Site

  • Transcripts

    • PDF of your AEA Course Transcript showing you completed the Substitute Authorization course

    • PDF of your Official College Transcripts (paras will add this as an endorsement to a para license).  At this time you will need to verify an AA degree or 60+ hours of college credit

  • Fingerprint Cards Directions for fingerprinting

    • When you start your application you will be asked how you want to receive the fingerprint packet and you should indicate you want one mailed to you.  

    • Complete at your local police station (fees range from $0 – 20)

  • Fees payable to the BOEE; paid online during the application process: Total = $163

    • Background Check – $75 You will need this even if you had one done for another organization or school. Waived only for those with a BOEE issued coaching authorization or Para License.

    • Application - $85 + $3 debit/credit card processing fee

  • License Term

    • Five years

  • Renewal Requirements

    • Earn two relicensure credits within five years

    • Credits may be earned at the AEA or an accredited college/university


How to let districts know you are ready to substitute teach

  • AEA’s do not place substitute teachers

  • Having the license does not guarantee work

  • Contact your preferred school district and apply

    • List of Mississippi Bend AEA school  districts can be found here (you must follow district employment practices)

  • Visit for more opportunities


Statewide Substitute Authorization Course Providers Click here to view!

  • Questions about other AEA course offerings should be directed to that AEA

  • You may also contact your local AEA directly

© 2021 Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency