- Met with Crisis Management Team.
- Designated the Crisis Management Team Leader.
- Arranged for substitute to assist student's classroom teacher.
- Instructed a staff member to remove locker contents from deceased student's locker.
- Designated a counseling support center in building.
- Met with building staff.
- Directed staff member to review student's cumulative folder and notify other school principals as needed.
- Informed students regarding the death.
- Wrote letter to parents of all students regarding the death.
- Designated a staff member to collect funeral arrangement information.
- Informed students/staff regarding funeral arrangements.
- Directed a staff member to remove student's name from all mailing lists, including the district's central office.
- Called and/or visited parents.
- Held mid-day meeting with Crisis Management Team Leader to assess response activities.
- Contacted clergy who will be conducting funeral services.
- Held after-school meeting.
- Met with Crisis Management Team at end of day to review day's activities, review list of "high-risk" students, and plan for next day's activities.
Crisis Management Team Leaders Checklist
- Listed the teachers and staff who will need extra support because of their closeness, etc. to deceased.
- Assigned staff member to classroom where assistance by the teacher has been requested.
- Maintained a list of "high risk" students.
- Organized the building's counseling efforts including grief group(s).
- Assisted in identifying students who were absent and "high risk".
- Recommended to the principal students who (A) needed to go home or (B) needed additional community mental health resources.
- Reviewed with team all students on "high risk" list and assigned staff member as a case manager.
- Assisted in organizing staff's role in funeral arrangements including visitation.
- Met with Crisis Management Team at end of day to update and plan for next day's activities.
- Attended the all-staff a.m. meeting.
- If needed, requested a substitute to assist so that I could have individual time to console students, visit with deceased student's parents, etc.
- Modeled the classroom discussion by sharing with students my feelings and reactions. (or)
- I felt I could not lead class discussion and informed the principal or Crisis Management Team
- Leader and requested a team member to lead the discussion.
- Allowed students to go to counseling support center (sent peer or aide to accompany them.)
- Kept list of student(s) I thought were "high risk" and gave names to Crisis Management Team Leader during and at the end of the day.
- Offered colleagues, who were in need of help, any assistance I could give them.
- Attended after-school staff meeting.
- If appropriate, attended the visitation and/or funeral.